- Something I’m in the mood to eat (which I don’t know until the day of sometimes!)
- Cheese free (Well, mostly. I really working on cutting back on my dairy intake.)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- ⅔ cup Arborio rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 3 ¼ tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced cabbage
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 slices Italian bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 15.5-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in pot over medium heat. Add rice, and sauté 6 minutes, or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and rosemary, and cook 2 minutes more. Add broth, cabbage, and bay leaf; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pulse bread and pine nuts in food processor until small crumbs form.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumb mixture, and sauté 5 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are crisp and toasted.
- Add beans to soup, and cook 5 minutes more, or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf, and stir in breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
*I skipped the pine nuts and breadcrumbs because my blender was on the fritz
I kind of screwed the recipe up though. I mis-read the directions and cooked the rice by itself first and I made too much! So instead of soup I ended up with beans and rice lol. It tasted pretty good but it wasn’t my favorite.
But every time I make something whether or not it turns out good, I learn something new. With this recipe I discovered Arborio rice. It has a fabulous creamy texture and it tastes really great. I learned that it is the base of some risottos…so the process wasn’t a complete loss.
What was your last recipe mishap?
Connect with Sporty Afros!