Among the various oils that you can use to promote healthy hair, one of the most popular is olive oil. “Olive oil?! But I thought that was just for cooking?” I know it may sound strange if this is your first time hearing this, but trust me, there are some great benefits of olive oil for natural hair. In fact, even though I would love to be able to take credit for this tip, the benefits of olive oil for natural hair have been known for centuries. Check out some of the benefits below!
- One of the most well-known benefits of olive oil for natural hair is that it is fantastic boost to your deep conditioner. When heated, it makes an excellent aid to your deep conditioner.
- Olive oil is also a great sealant to keep moisture in your hair and moisture is essential for healthy hair. Olive oil is actually one of the emollients that can really penetrate the hair plus, it’s really lightweight. Both of these qualities are key when looking for a great sealant.
- Another of the great benefits of olive oil for natural hair is that it contains anti-inflammatory properties. These properties help to promote a healthy scalp, fighting all types of fungus and bacteria. So use it if you are prone to dandruff.
- If you go for the good stuff (extra virgin olive oil), you will get the benefit of tons of mono-unsaturated fatty acids plus vitamin E. This is the perfect blend for natural hair growth.
- Using olive oil regularly can help to make your hair stronger and add elasticity.
- It stops the DTH hormone from being produced. This baddie is responsible for many cases of hair loss.
- If you have sensitive skin, olive oil is probably a safe bet for you as it is not very likely to trigger an allergic reaction.
- Massaging olive oil into your scalp can actually improve blood circulation. This can stimulate your hair follicles, resulting in thicker strands.
- It’s fairly cheap. Even big bottles of extra virgin olive oil aren’t going to run you very much.
- It’s easy to find. Olive oil is pretty much a staple in all grocery stores.
As you can see, there are many benefits of olive oil for natural hair. I recommend using extra virgin olive oil rather than regular or refined versions of olive oil.
Know anymore benefits of olive oil for natural hair? Let me know in the comments!