Your hair needs adequate amounts of protein and moisture to stay shiny, lustrous and strong. Everyday styling and pollution can snatch the moisture from you hair and leave them dull and lifeless. The best way to keep your strands very healthy and full of life is a protein treatment. Protein helps repair the hair cuticle and makes the strands stronger to get those lovely locks back.
Here are some commercial and homemade protein treatments for natural hair:
- Protein Conditioner: Since a protein treatment is required to strengthen your hair, it is most effective when applied after shampooing. You can use a good protein conditioner recommended by your stylist. After you are done with the shampoo, apply the conditioner generously to your hair and allow the hair to soak in the nourishment. The protein will infiltrate to the hair shaft and reinforce your locks.
- Mayonnaise and avocado: Eggs are one of the best sources of protein. Mayonnaise is made up of egg and oil so it has the goodness of both protein from the eggs and moisture from the oil. Avocados are rich in fat content so they tend to make hair smooth and resistant towards damage. For best results mix two tbsp of mayonnaise with half squashed avocado till the mixture becomes creamy. Apply this to your hair from the roots to the tips and rinse after a while. Shampoo the next morning.
- Yogurt treatment: A yogurt or cream can also help restore the lost protein from your hair. You just have to apply two to three dollops of sour cream or yogurt to your hair and leave for twenty minutes and then wash it away.
- Keratin Protein: A heavy duty protein can be used for severely damaged hair. This protein is available with almost every stylist. It helps in restructuring the hair that has been damaged due to loads of styling – blow drying, ironing, bleaching, coloring and uses of other harmful products.
- Wheat Protein: This protein is well known for smoothing the hair during the process of restoring the lost protein. Wheat protein has superior and powerful moisturizing ability the can help restore the lost structure of the hair. With the regular use of this protein your hair regains its lost nutrients and becomes healthier from the inside. The hair shaft becomes more soft and gains more elasticity.
Requirement of protein treatment: Protein treatments for natural hair may sound simple and easy to use, but one needs to limit the extent to which the hair is exposed to the treatment. Over exposure may cause further damage and breakage. It can make your hair feel stiff and hard. Not all hair types will need the same amount of protein, some may need less and the others more. Hair that is damaged due to styling overdose needs to be protein treated by an once a week. Normal hair with the basic requirement of protein can be handled with home made packs or light conditioners.
Looking for more natural hair tips?
7 Tips To Regrow Your Edges
SEE ALSO: How I Helped My Client Regrow Her Edges In 6 - 7 Months!
Best Deep Conditioners for Natural Hair | My Top 3 Choices
Natural Hair Guide For Beginners