How Mama Dukes Regrew Hair Edges In 5 Months!

Hola!

Black women seem to suffer from a common problem which are thinning edges. I am not saying that its exclusive to our race but we do wear weaves and braids more than any race of people i know in existence in this day and edge.

Take my mother for example. She told me that since she was a kid , her edges have been in horrible condition and to make matters worse, she wore weaves, tight weaves for a while. I spent my summer at her house and over the summer, i learned just how damaged her edges were.

See Also: 13 oils that promote natural hair growth

She said she didn’t want to go natural and honestly, i wasn’t trying to convince her to do so. I told her all i cared about was her hair being healthy and i wasn’t trying to pressure her into transitioning. Well…. she asked me to put a perm and her head and i told her no especially after i saw her edges! I told her hair was not ready to handle a chemical service and it need some serious TLC. Again, let me reiterate that i was not trying to get her to transition, i simply wanted her to have healthy hair.

Fast forward…. I started thinking of ways that i knew to grow out thinning hair and from what i can tell just by looking at it, her edges were suffering from traction alopecia.

Traction alopecia is a form of alopecia, or gradual hair loss, caused primarily by pulling force being applied to the hair.[1]:761[2]:645 This commonly results from the sufferer frequently wearing his/her hair in a particularly tight ponytail, pigtails, or braids. It is also seen occasionally in long-haired toy dogs whose owners use barrettes to keep hair out of the dogs’ faces.

Traction alopecia is a substantial risk in hair weaves, which can be worn either to conceal hair loss, or purely for cosmetic purposes. The former involves creating a braid around the head below the existing hairline, to which an extended-wear hairpiece, or wig, is attached. Since the hair of the braid is still growing, it requires frequent maintenance, which involves the hairpiece being removed, the natural hair braided again, and the piece snugly reattached. The tight braiding and snug hairpiece cause tension on the hair that is already at risk for falling out. Traction Alopecia is one of the most common causes of hair loss in African American women. Although the aforementioned style is one of the culprits, hairstyles such as dreadlocks and single (extension) braids can also have the same effect.[3] Men and women who have suffered from Traction Alopecia have found that the hair loss occurs most at the hair line – primarily around the temples and the sides of their heads.[4] (SOURCE)

Now don’t get it twisted. Weaves are a great protective style when done RIGHT and not put in too tight. But if you do it wrong, it a can backfire on you and well the above happens.

Well this is what mama dukes hairline looked like when we started

So i felt like ….

Originally my plan was to take her out her weaves and treat it but umm she wasn’t having that. So i told her that she could have the weaves as long as i did them and as long as she still applied the Jamaican Black Castor Oil at EVERY night. She agreed.

So the plan in short was JBCO (Jamaican black castor oil) every night and moisturize and seal the rest of her hair while it was in the tracks. Well when we took it down, we did a full day of hair treatments. Shampoo, protein treatment, deep condition, moisturize and seal and style.

SEE ALSO: 5 Tips To Grow Long Natural Hair

She came to the conclusion that she didn’t want another weave in and she just wanted to wear her hair. She saw me twisting mine and looked at me…… i looked at her back…… and she looked at me some more and proceeded to say …… “I want my hair like that”

-______- ……. yea i saw that coming.

She still had permed ends so i did my best to blend that end with the rest of it. I did cut some of the permed ends off but not all. She wore the twists for WEEKS but she did moisturize  and seal her hair really well during that time but she hated wash day.

Well i left in August i believe so she had me from June – August to help her care for her hair. Before i left, i showed her what to do and gave her the reigns. She still applied JBCO nightly and as far as i know, kept her wash days up.. lol.

You can purchase JBCO here

Well the proof is in the pudding because she sent me a picture of her edges because 5 MONTHS LATER this is what she texts me:

See Also: 8 Benefits of Wearing Protective Styles For Natural Hair

“Damn I’m Good!”

LOL! But no all jokes aside, i was kind of afraid she wouldn’t keep it up because i know she doesn’t like to do her hair. Well im proud of her and as much as she was like “Oh im not going natural” ….guess what… She had the remainder of her permed ends cut off and now she is completely and 100% percent natural.

~hits my dougie~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

Comments

1. J says

I came here after lurking on LHCF and this post is awesome! Your mother’s results are great and your humor and gifs had me laughing. Good job!!

2. O says

Those are really great results!! So was her hair in a weave the entire 5months or she basically did the regimen with her own hair?

3. says

Wow! You did an amazing job! :)
    So I have a question… I am bit of newb to natural hair care and I’ve been looking to damaged hair edges treatment , which is this post is so helpful to me. But can someone please explain this part: “So the plan in short was JBCO (Jamaican black castor oil) every night and moisturize and seal the rest of her hair…”
    I am confused, do you put something on the hair before or after applying the JBCO? I was thinking the JBCO seals the moisture in, so what could be used a a moisturiser? Something like shea butter, or no? Or did you just apply the shea butter?
    Sorry if these are dumb/basic questions (^_^;) And, I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this!

• Elizabeth says

Nope they aren’t dumb questions at all! She moisturized and sealed the rest of her hair and only used the JBCO on her edges. Moisturize and seal means to basically moisturize your hair w/ a moisturizer and then use an oil to seal the moisture into the hair.

4. Kayla says

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor *scoops it up*. If I wasn’t on a PPO challenge right now I’d be jumping on the JBCO challenge. I never thought much of JBCO until THIS!

• Elizabeth says

I know that JBCO is thicker and has a stronger smell than regular castor oil. I have never read anywhere that people use the regular one for this purpose so i really don’t want to misguide you.

5. says

Wow, what great results! I have a friend that has been wearing braids since I’ve known her. I want to say for at least 18 years. Her edges look like the picture. She doesn’t want the hassle of styling her hair so she opts for braids. 18 years straight though? She also relaxes, which I don’t understand why when you never wear your real hair out. Still trying to encourage her though.

6. Lisa L. says

OK..If its true..ThATS Awesome..But im a little skeptical cause the after pictures are dark and fuzzy…Im a a believer if you have something clearer..cauase i really need a miracle for my edges..

• Lavern says

hi Lisa

It really does work I researched this product before I used it. I am Jamaican and I even asked ppl in Jamaica about this product because most of it is produced there and they said it works. I have been using this product for 8 months now and I see the difference in my hair. So give it a try for 2 months and see if you like it ,you can mix it with other products if its to thick for you. but you have to get the castor oil that is unrefined unbleached No additives that is100% Natural to see good results…

7. says

I only recently found your site, and I love it! thanks for sharing these tips as I’ve been trying to improve my edges that have suffered mostly due to breakage from lots of heat. Can’t wait to try the product Jamaican Black Castor Oil.

8. says

i discovered jbco a year ago and loved it, it has multiple uses, a tsp in your deep conditioner is very moisturizing. mixing it with a little peppermint and olive oil as a scalp mix and pre poo mix. i first used jbco for my nape when relaxers made it fall out and it grew back within 6mos. so yes jbco works but please do your research on how to use it right.

9. Aquina says

How do yall know the before and after pictures are of the same person??? Can’t really tell since the after picture is blurry and you can’t really see the face like you can in the before picture….I’m just saying……

10. angie b says

doesnt look like the same person, the ears are too different, y would you not show the face? you did in the other pics!

11. Lavern says

I use JCBO and and another brand Eyl castor and it works Great I even put my mother on it , but i mix mines with magic gro and mn and my hair has grown drastically.

12. bam says

Lisa. it is obvious from her comments that the pics are of different people. JBCO does work as I had damaged edges and it filled my edges in as well. And for the record, no way I’m posting pics of my damaged hairline and my face because it was embarrassing. If you don’t believe it, kick rocks.

13. says

Kudos to you and your mom for following through. JBCO is definitely a staple in my hair regimen. I was a weave queen less than a year ago and decide to go natural. Now my hair is growing back healthy and bald crown is blossoming;-) I do sell and use this product and know it works. Happy Hair journey to your mommy;-)

14. says

My mother has REALLY bad traction alopecia and has bought every hair growth product under sun. She accuses me of forcing natural products on her to make her go natural, BUT I think we have a winner. I can’t wait to show her your post and get her to try JBCO so her hair be healthy and thick again.

15. says

Hello, I’m new to your blog and I was just inquiring about JBCO. I too have lost hair around the top of my hairline. I didn’t want to bandwagon another product because most of the reviewers I saw got the product for free.

16. says

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!! I have a friend who is newly natural and did a beautiful BC but she’s very conscious of her balding edges…in my opinion it looks like the barber faded her that way and I like it but of course it’s a concern for her and I want to promote healthy hair restoration so I will definitely be sharing this w/ her

17. says

I’m a newbie with natural hair. I was rocking a fade for a year & a half. I just bought the JBCO. I was wondering what else shall I use for hair growth or do I use the oil alone.

18. Atarah says

I found this post because of BGLH on facebook. First I want to say congrats to you on being so successful with helping your mom & congrats to your mom for sticking it through for 5 months. My mom couldnt even last a month, lol. I was really bothered by all the negative comments people were writing about the two pics show two different people. I guess it’s something I need to work on within myself to allow people to have their own opinions. But I just couldnt help thinking why would the girl lie on her own blog. I was saying to myself “she isnt getting paid to try the product neither is her mother, she’s just really excited that she could help her mom grow her edges back so she wanted to share with her followers on her PERSONAL blog.” Anyways like I said before congrats!!!

19. pinkness27 says

I clicked on this link in LHCF. Have been using castor oil I bought from the vitamin shop since July, but I haven’t really been seeing any results (my best friend said my hairline is getting better, but she’s my best friend she has the obligation to say so lol). After reading this, I’m def going to make the switch to jbco and hope my hairline regains its fullness like your mothers has.

20. nikki says

My hair is fine and breaks easily. I tried that stuff and Emu oil and they just seemed to rub my edges out more. Maybe it’s not penetrating deep enuff ? Idk maybe I should get one of those derma needle rollers

21. says

Awsome~

I got my mom to go natural, but her hair is way stronger than mine,,, my edges break off as soon as they get some heat, which is about every 2 months..

22. Kacy says

You almost got me…. But those are definitely not the same ears. And if it was the same person why not show her face so ppl could really the same person???

23. tamera says

hi there, i really enjoy this article. i have a question: my edges are the same as your mother (well her edges BEFORE the castor oil) and i am using oil as you explained but does it matter if i wear wigs or not? (my edges are really bad and i would wear my own hair out but because it is so short and i can’t hide it in any way, shape, or form i wear wigs.) Please respond…

24. Stacie Sturdivant says

This article is AWESOME!!!! I am currently struggling with mild traction alopecia and want nothing more than for my edges to be the length of the rest of my hair! Oddly, a few days ago, one of my friends offered to let me try Jamaican Black Castor Oil! I’m super geeked and thankful for this confirmation! Kudos!

25. Olutoyin says

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! I have locs and I have 2 thin spots on both sides of my head in the back. I did not know what the cause was. I went to a dermatologist and she couldn’t fine anything wrong because my hair follicles were not damage. I am going to try the Jamaica castor oil. Thanks again!!!!

26. T.Shante' says

So I guess my question is what exactly does she do to her edges with the JBCO to make it grow the rate it did and get the results?

27. says

Thank you so so so soooo much, for sharing this!!! I don’t wear weaves/wigs (ever), but I have bad breakage all around the front of my hairline (especially my temples). I’ve used two diff products for it, (Dr Miracle’s temple nape balm, and Minoval). Needless to say, I dont feel they’re doing anything for me:( I will definitely purchase a bottle, of the JBCO:) Now, I use all different kins of products in my hair. Mizani conditioning shampoo, & conditioning treatment. Mizani H20 nightime strengthen creme, Curl Max curl activator moisturizer, and Doo Gro. Oh, and my hair has a texturizer in it (but cutting it all off soon)..Do u oppose of any of these hair products, while using the JBCO??

28. KitKat says

Wow, what a transformation! I’ve had my hair natural for at least, maybe 3 years now in a short l’il fro with fractal curls. My hair is notoriously dry due to the tiny curls and my hair type (dry and coarse) and it tends to break easily. I have tried using conditioner on a regular basis as well as shea butter, but my hair is still very dry. What could I do to get my hair to retain some moisture? Wll the JBCO help with that? Thank you?

29. Asia says

So, I got my hair done October 20,2012 the day before my b-day. I went to the african s to get my hair braided I have cornrows in the front and box braids at the back.My edges are thinning and my hair is popping from the braids. My mother told me to leave my hair in for 2 months.And,If I were to put my relaxed hair i a ponytail i will have a little bald spot on my hair line.If I gel it down it will be noticable. So, If I start using the Jamaican Black Castor Oil in November do you think my edges will grow out by about december 20th, 2012

30. lina245 says

Umm, I just saw that same results picture on two different websites… Has it already been established that this photo is not of the same person?

31. Mrive008 says

I believe that Castor oil does work in growing edges. I have recently started using it. But I am using regular Castor oil, not Jamaican Black Castor oil. Also, using emu oil on your edges works. I know from experience. I use emu oil on my eyelashes for eyelash growth.

32. Ms. OooWee says

Amazing results…I suffered loss to my edges, and nape due to having Thyroid issues.Thyroids have been killed from radiation treatments,and now I need to focus on re-growing my hair loss.So it is safe to mix the JBCO with Magic Gro? Just gota find a place locally that sells it.U think Sally’s or Walmart would be sellers of JBCO product?

33. Amanda Jackson via Facebook says

I read that you sealed the hair. How do you go about it and what products did you use

34. Michelle says

I agree with many of the posters, these are two different people in the before and after pictures. If it was such a miracle and wonderful product then why blur the pics out and show only a part of the face?
    Besides the after pic looks like a man. Unbelievable!

35. Cosita says

I went through hair loss although not this type. JBCO helped me. Not everything works for everyone. Plus I think if you are going to be using heavy oils you need to be washing your hair often.

36. Tt says

I’m mad at the fact that the ending results picture is not well lit and you can’t even tell that’s its the same person. It needs some better after pics. Like the after pic didn’t do this article no justice.